Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355185.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2021 at 19:04:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST 57044 73866



ST5773NW COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton 901-1/2/830 (North East side) 04/03/77 Clifton College, Guthrie Memorial Chapel


Chapel. From 1866. By Charles Hansom. Enlarged 1909-10 by Sir Charles Nicholson. Snecked Brandon Hill Grit with limestone ashlar and dressings, copper-clad lantern and slate hipped roof with bands of hexagonal slates. Apse, chancel, octagonal nave and narthex. Decorated Gothic Revival style. E and W ends C19 with central crenellated nave inserted C20. An octagonal C19 apse has a plinth, parapet, and steep roof with lead crockets and finial and decorative ridge tiles; C20 chapels each side have sloping parapets. 2-storey, 4-bay crenellated sides of the C20 octagonal nave project at an angle from the side elevations, with a ground-floor linking screen wall over a vaulted cloister to the S; 2-light windows with Decorated tracery. Steep gabled C19 W end has 3 bays separated by buttresses, each with 4 ground-floor lancets with columns and bell capitals, and a string; above is a large rose window, and 3 round carved panels. Large octagonal lantern has wide 2-centred arched 5-light windows and a crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles, clad in copper. To NW is a 2-centred arched door in a 1-storey block linking to a 2-stage octagonal tower, with a weathered course below the belfry with louvred 1-light windows, pierced parapet with gargoyles to weathered roof and spirelet with steep gabled spire lights and weathered top. Projecting clock in timber case. INTERIOR: reredos of triple lancets on columns with foliate capitals and moulded hoods, rere arches to windows on banded black marble columns, banded granite columns to painted roof, and mosaic floor to altar; paired arches to side chapels, which have outer triple arches to the roof on stout granite columns and foliate capitals, and large angel corbels playing instruments; octagonal nave has blind lower arches, plain vault ribs to the lantern, which has figures in niches in the angles. 3-bay narthex has 2-centred arched doorway with head stops. FITTINGS: octagonal pulpit with steps up and a sounding board, and pews to the sides facing in, with rear thrones either side of the door with canopies over. Stained glass includes knightly figures such as King Arthur and Sir Galahad dating from the Boer War. Nicholson left Hansom's E and W ends, dismantled the nave of the chapel and superimposed 2 octagons upon it, '...a unique design and one of outstanding merit.' (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 320; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 419).

Listing NGR: ST5704473866


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 320
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 419


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11794/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].