FORMER SERGEANTS' MESS, FENHAM BARRACKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1355209

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Feb-1999

Statutory Address: FORMER SERGEANTS' MESS, FENHAM BARRACKS, BARRACK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER SERGEANTS' MESS, FENHAM BARRACKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355209 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:34:20.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER SERGEANTS' MESS, FENHAM BARRACKS, BARRACK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 23745 64990

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWCASTLE ON TYNE NZ 26 NW BARRACK ROAD (North East side) 1833/8/82 Former sergeants' mess, Fenham Barracks 17.12.71

GV II

Artillery barracks officers' quarters, later sergeants' mess, now student accommodation. 1804-06, by James Wyatt, Surveyor General to the Ordnance Board, converted c1994. English bond brick with brown sandstone dressings, brick ridge stacks and slate hipped valley roof. Late Georgian style. Single-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement; 12-window range. Near symmetrical front with ashlar basement and plinth, first-floor cill band and eaves frieze and cornice, with the 1-window end sections set forward; right-of-centre round-arched entrance has panelled jambs, imposts and keyed arch, with late C20 plate-glass fanlight and half-glazed door. Round-arched late C20 ground-floor horned 2/2-pane sashes, the end ones set within matching arched recesses, and segmental-arched first-floor horned 2/2-pane sashes, with smaller 3/3-pane basement sashes; matching rear with no entrance, the 3-bay returns have round-arched ground-floor recesses, the outer ones containing matching sashes, and in the centre a late C20 doorway with radial fanlight and double 12-panel doors. Steps up to the left-hand return entrance. INTERIOR: Completely rebuilt c1994. HISTORY: The Ordnance Board retained responsibility during the Napoleonic War for Artillery barracks. One of the earliest surviving sergeants' messes in the country, the only example built of stone from this period, and with the officers' mess and guard houses (qqv) a small part of the former Fenham Artillery Barracks. (Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series: Breihan J: Army Barracks in the NE in the Era of the French Revolution: 1990-: 171).



Listing NGR: NZ2374564990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304383

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Breihan, J, 'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Army Barracks in the NE in the Era of the French Revolution, (1990), 171

End of official listing