CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1355218

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1949

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355218 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:51:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 25076 68076

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 NE GOSFORTH CHURCH ROAD (east side)

9/12 Church of St. Nicholas

10 November 1949

G.V. II

Parish church. 1799 tower and west end by John Dodds after demolition of earlier church; 1820 additions by John Dobson; 1912/13 and 1950 additions. Sandstone ashlar; graduated Lakeland slate roof. West tower with north and south porches; aisled nave with north vestries and second north aisle; chancel with porches and small apse. Flat stone lintels to double doors in west porches; 3-stage tower has west window, similar blind window above and belfry openings in set-back third stage below cornice and octagonal stone spire with swept eaves. Blocked south door and inserted south-east door have flat stone lintels. All windows round- headed, those of nave recessed with projecting stone sills in tall round-arched panels; smaller narrow square-headed windows flank main east window. Coped parapets above eaves band; stone gable coping with cross finial; semi-dome to apse. Interior: painted plaster above panelled dado; segmental boarded roof with side vaults to 2 oeuils de boeuf. Nave arcades of 2 wide elliptical arches with narrow arches at east and west ends; 5-arched arcade to extra North aisle. Ionic Order to chancel arch; panelled sanctuary. Headstones built into south aisle wall. Glass includes memorial to J.B. and M.A. Row by G.J. Baguley, Newcastle, 1902.

Listing NGR: NZ2507668076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304332

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing