CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1355238

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, BRUNEL TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 09:51:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, BRUNEL TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 23180 63227

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BRUNEL TERRACE (east side)

11/134 Church of St. Stephen 14.6.54

G.V. II

Parish church, declared redundant lst January 1984. 1868 by Johnson. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Aisled nave with north-west tower and low west porch; north transept; chancel with north aisle. Decorated style. 3-stage tower over aisle has triple belfry openings, corbel table, and battlements with corner flying buttresses to tall octagonal stone spire with lucarnes. West porch has shafts and label strings to square-headed central window and flanking doors; high aisle windows, boarded up in north and west and with bar tracery on south; larger east window also boarded up. Steeply-pitched roofs to nave and aisles. Interior: stripped except for alabaster memorials in memory of members of the Cruddas family and mosaic after Holman Hunt "Light of the World" in memory of Rev. Joseph Duncan, vicar 1901-11. Glass removed.

Listing NGR: NZ2318063227

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304439

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing