THE CARRIAGE PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355276
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1978
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
THE CARRIAGE PUBLIC HOUSE, JESMOND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CARRIAGE PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355276 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 03:19:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CARRIAGE PUBLIC HOUSE, JESMOND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 25388 65332

Details

NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE JESMOND ROAD (south side off) 9/338 5/12/78 The Carriage P.H. (formerly listed as main passenger building at Jesmond Station) G.V. II Passenger railway station, now public house. Between 1861 and 1864, possibly to designs,of John Dobson. Brick with sandstone ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings and kneelers. Tudor style. One storey and attics; 3 bays. Tall gabled centre section has Tudor-arched doorway with double door; stone-mullioned windows of varying sizes in this and in flanking lower gabled bays; stone slits in gable peaks. Steeply-pitched roofs have tall octagonal corniced stone chimneys. Cross-gables to returns. Of historical interest as being the last surviving station of the Blyth and Tyne railway.

Listing NGR: NZ2538865332

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304658
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16559/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].