CATHEDRAL OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1355309

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: CATHEDRAL OF ST NICHOLAS, ST NICHOLAS' STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHEDRAL OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355309 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 13:35:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CATHEDRAL OF ST NICHOLAS, ST NICHOLAS' STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 24989 64009

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2464 SE, NZ 2564 SW, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ST NICHOLAS' STREET NZ 2463 NE, NZ 2563 NW (east side) 20/, 21/, 23/ and 24/490 Cathedral of St.Nicholas 14.6.54 G.V I Parish church; cathedral since 1882. Mostly mid C14, incorporating earlier work in N.W. crossing and north arcade; C15 tower and spire. Many alterations later include the addition of north and south porches in C19 by J. Green and Dobson. Sandstone, coursed and squared except for modern ashlar; lead-covered roofs. West tower with transepts and porches; aisled nave with south chapel; transepts; aisled chancel with north chapel and south vestry (with Thomlinson Library St. Nicholas Churchyard,q.v.). Decorated windows in transepts, south aisle and clerestory, Perpendicular elsewhere; many renewed. Renewed west and late C20 north and south doors in moulded arches, the latter under tall windows, in gabled porches. 3-stage tower has big polygonal buttresses; 5-light window above door; small 2-light windows and tall paired 2-light belfry openings in upper stages; high pierced, battlemented parapet has centre-side pinnacles and taller corner pinnacles which enclose 4 flying buttresses holding square lantern; smaller pinnacles and battlemented parapet on this surround slender octagonal spire. Interior: coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; arch-braced panelled roofs with heraldic bosses. 4-bay nave and 4-bay chancel arcades have octagonal columns with plinths but without capitals, the triple-chamfered arches springing directly from them; high crossing arches in similar style, but chancel arch on responds with capitals. Tower has arches in similar style with 5 chamfers; ribbed vault. Head-stopped drip-moulds to arcades; string and drip-moulds to aisle; plain clerestory. Low blind arcade on south wall interrupted by chapel. Crypt in north transept has 5-mouchette window and chamfered segmental transverse ribs. Octagonal stone font with arms of Robert Rhodes, a C15 benefactor, and high crocketed cover. Pre-reformation brass eagle lectern. South chapel has medieval roundel of the Virgin and Child in each window; much C19 glass commemorating local industrialists and Grey of Falloden. Monuments: 2 medieval grave covers, one with head and feet of body depicted in 'openings ; C14 effigy of knight with shield, lamb at feet; large high-quality C15 incised brass from the grave of Roger Thornton in All Saints', on south chancel aisle wall; several C17 memorials including large sculpture of the Maddison family at prayer; Matthew Ridley, d. 1778, by J. Bacon in classical style; Admiral Collingwood, d. 1810, by Rossi; Matthew White Ridley of Blagdon Hall, died 1813, as a Roman by Flaxman; Calverly Bewicke, died 1815, by Baily; R.H. Williamson died 1835, by Dunbar; alabaster effigy of J.C. Bruce by George simmonds, dated 1896; effigy of Bishop Wilberforce, 1908, by F. W. Pomeroy.

Listing NGR: NZ2498964007

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304830

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing