MILITARY VEHICLE MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1355325

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1989

Statutory Address: MILITARY VEHICLE MUSEUM, CLAREMONT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILITARY VEHICLE MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 01:36:07.

Location

Statutory Address: MILITARY VEHICLE MUSEUM, CLAREMONT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 24642 65824

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLAREMONT RD 8/550 A Military Vehicle Museum (former Palace of Arts) II Exhibition building. Built 1928-9. Steel framed with concrete cladding. Single storey. 15 bays by 19 bays. The main facade has a projecting central portico with 10 base-less and capital-less square fluted columns, raised on a 7 step base, with a 3 step flat parapet which continues around the whole building. Either side are 3 bay blind wings with 3 blind windows each. The building is surmounted by a central octagonal cupola, topped by a shallow octagonal dome. The side facades are articulated with 20 base-less and capital-less fluted pilasters. Interior has a central domed space and linking galleries all round, divided by wooden panelled walls with Art Deco style doorways between. This building was built as the Palace of Arts for the North East Coast Exhibition, opened by the Prince of Wales on 14 May 1929. After the exhibition closed on 26 October 1929 the building was purchased by Newcastle upon Tyne Corporation for the Museum of Science and Engineering opened in 1934. It now houses the Military Vehicles Museum, it is the only surviving structure from the 1929 North East Coast Exhibition.

Listing NGR: NZ2464265824

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304996

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing