THE FORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355402
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
THE FORGE, BIRMINGHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 06:10:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FORGE, BIRMINGHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Coughton
National Grid Reference:
SP0800160408

Details

COUGHTON BIRMINGHAM ROAD SP06SE (West side) 1/160 The Forge 01/02/67 (Formerly listed as Smithy, Icknield Street)

GV II

Cottage and forge. Cottage c.1500 (VCH), forge possibly added C16 or early C17. Timber framed; heavy timbering with curved braces and brick infill. Tile roof; brick ridge and end stacks. 3-unit plan. One-storey and attic; one-window range. Cottage has plank door and two C19 casements with glazing bars. Dormer with horizontal sliding sash. Forge on left has plank door and 2 windows with external shutters. Right return side has curved braces and C19 external stack. Exposed framing to rear. Interior: Exposed timber framing and ceiling beams. Open fireplace with chamfered bressumer. 8-panelled door. Winder stairs. Room over forge has composition floor and 2 internal leaded windows. Heavy roof timbers with curved braces and windbraces. Forge retains hearth. C19 brick cart house with plank doors on left. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p.74).

Listing NGR: SP0800160408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
305323
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 74

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/06002/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs H. Margaret Nilsson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].