This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1355413

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, HENLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Oldberrow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305485

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLDBERROW HENLEY ROAD SP16NW (South side) 2/135 Church of St. Mary 01/02/67

GV II

Church. Medieval origins, but very largely rebuilt 1875 (Buildings of England). Coursed squared sandstone. Porch of sandstone ashlar and timber. Timber framed west turret with close studding and rendered infill. Continuous tile roof. Turret has small splay-footed shingle spire. Small building with nave and chancel in one, south porch and west turret. Simple chamfered C14 arched doorway with C19 door. Porch with arched braces, traceried openings and bargeboards carved with vine design. Chancel has C19 three-light east window with cusped Intersecting tracery. Angle buttresses flush with east wall. South side has C13 trefoiled lancet and re-set C12 window. Buttress between chancel and nave. Nave has C19 two-light square headed Decorated window. On north side very small C13 lancet, and shallow projection with C19 single light. Nave has 2 buttresses C15 ogee lancet and C19 single light. Blocked C15 four-centred doorway with simple blind tracery above. C19 two-light straight-headed Decorated west window. Turret has moulded middle string course. 2 narrow lights with wooden Perpendicular style tracery to each face. Interior: Single-framed roof with collars and ashlar pieces. West end has truss for turret. All windows except east window have straight heads. Chancel has C19 encaustic tile paving. Fittings: C19 Perpendicular style traceried wood chancel screen, and simple west screen. C13 stone font: Curved octagonal cup bowl with simple incised stiff leaf design on 4-lobed stem; C19 lid. Stained glass: East window in memory of Reverend Samuel D'Oyley Peshall, died 1859. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vul.III, p.141; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.368).

Listing NGR: SP1213265985

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 141
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 368

National Grid Reference: SP 12132 65985

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355413 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 09:47:15.

End of official listing