FARNBOROUGH HALL THE OBELISK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355432
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
FARNBOROUGH HALL THE OBELISK

Map

Ordnance survey map of FARNBOROUGH HALL THE OBELISK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355432 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 10:47:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
FARNBOROUGH HALL THE OBELISK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Farnborough
National Grid Reference:
SP4305048669

Details

FARNBOROUGH SP44NW 9/12 Farnborough Hall: The Obelisk 30/05/67 (Formerly listed as Obelisk)

GV II

Obelisk. c.1746; dated 1751 and 'Rebuilt 1823'. Possibly designed by Sanderson Miller for William Holbech. Limestone ashlar. Tall and very slender. High pedestal with moulded stepped base and cornice. Forms the focal point of the end of the Terrace Walk, probably by Miller, a major example of C18 landscape design. (G. Jackson-Stops: Farnborough Hall: National Trust Guidebook 1984. Gordon Nares: Farnborough Hall: Country Life it and 18 February 1954. Buildings of England: Warwickshire p.293).

Listing NGR: SP4304848670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
305587
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jackson Stops, G, Farnborough Hall National Trust Guidebook, (1984)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 293
'Country Life' in 18 February, (1954)
'Country Life' in 11 February, (1954)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14378/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].