MOUNTBATTEN HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1355441

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: MOUNTBATTEN HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, ALCESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOUNTBATTEN HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 23:28:42.

Location

Statutory Address: MOUNTBATTEN HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS, ALCESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Studley

National Grid Reference: SP 07408 63534

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STUDLEY ALCESTER ROAD SP06SE (East side) 4/186 Mountbatten House and 01/02/67 attached garden wails (Formerly listed as Manor House with gate piers and gates)

GV II*

Manor house and attached garden walls. Late C17 (VCH). Interior remodelled c.1740. C19 addition. Probably built for Charles Knottesford. Red English bond brick with stone pilasters, dressings, entablature and cornice, and parapet. Double-span slate hipped roof behind parapet; brick internal stacks. Central staircase plan. 2 storeys and attic, with 2 storey front; 5-window range. Ionic giant angle pilasters. Central stone doorcase of Tuscan half-columns and pilasters, and segmental pediment breaking forward at each side. 15-pane sashes in moulded stone architraves with keystones, and sill band on ground floor. Deep entablature and modillion cornice. Parapet with balustrading above each bay, and corner urns. Garden front similar, but with brick parapet, recessed above each bay, and without urns. Return sides have blind windows. 3-bay right side has central C20 attic window; 4-bay left side has attic casements. 2-bay addition on left has pitched roof. Sashes in moulded stone frames. Interior: Central hall and through passage and room on garden front have dados, partly of early C17 panelling from The Old Castle (q.v.). Room also has Jacobean style fireplace and overmantel, possibly with some old woodwork. Good dog-leg staircase with scrolled open string and 3 column-on-vase balusters to each tread. Rooms to left no right of entrance have carved wooden chimneypieces and moulded doorcases. Late C17 moulded cornices. 2- and 6-panelled doors throughout. First floor has eared door architraves. Back staircase with turned balusters. Brick garden wall attached to left and right and right angles on right garden front. The interior was remodelled after a fire c.1740. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.111, p.175, Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.423).

Listing NGR: SP0740863534

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 305533

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 175
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 423

End of official listing