CONTONE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1355533

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Statutory Address: CONTONE HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONTONE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355533 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:17:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CONTONE HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Fenny Compton

National Grid Reference: SP4159152344

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FENNY COMPTON BRIDGE STREET SP4052 (West side) 6/35 Contone House 30/05/67

GV II

House. 1668. Regular coursed ironstone. Tile roof has gable parapets with remains of finials; brick left end and ridge stacks. 4-unit plan. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range. Central C20 ribbed door with strap hinges in chamfered stone surrounds. C20 stone and timber open porch. 3-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds survive in fourth bay; others have mullions removed and C18 leaded casements inserted, 2 with flat arches below hood mould. Datestone between first and second bays on first floor has shaped panel with rosettte and fleurs-de-lys. Inscription records that the house was 'reedefied at the charge of Thomas Blicke and Elizabeth his wife'. Right corner chamfered on ground floor. Right return sides have mullioned windows. Irregular rear has small C19 brick wing with slate roof, possibly formerly a granary. External stone staircase. Interior not inspected but V.C.H. records wide open fireplace with chamfered bressumer, and chamfered ceiling beams.

(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.I, p.47; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.294).

Listing NGR: SP4159152344

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 306145

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904), 47
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 294

End of official listing