CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST CLARE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1355534
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST CLARE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST CLARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355534 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2019 at 11:02:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST CLARE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Fenny Compton
National Grid Reference:
SP 41699 52119

Details

FENNY COMPTON CHURCH STREET SP4052 (South side) 6/48 Church of St. Peter and St. 30/05/67 Clare (Formerly listed as Church of St. Clare)

GV II*

Church. Late C13/early C14 chancel, largely rebuit late C18/C19 and late C19; late C13 nave; late C14 north aisle, west tower and spire, and porch. C16 clerestory. Porch partly remodelled 1675. South aisle, restoration and tracery largely renewed 1879 by T.G. Jackson. Ironstone: chancel, clerestory, north aisle and tower regular coursed; south aisle of coursed rubble. Lead roofs have moulded parapets and shallow-pitched gable parapets. Chancel, aisled nave, north porch and west tower. Decorated style. 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has plinth, double-stepped to east, and south diagonal and north-east buttresses; aisles have diagonal buttresses. Chancel has 3-light east window with reticulated tracery and hood mould. North side has blocked doorway partly inserted into it. Three 2-light south windows have cinqfoiled lights. North porch has low diagonal buttresses. C14 moulded arched doorway has hood mould with block stops, and C17 double-leaf plank doors. Datestone in gable. Late C14 north doorway of 2 sunk-chamfered orders has hood mould with head stops. Ancient studded 3-plank door. Two north windows of 2 trefoiled round arched lights in square head with moulded jambs and hood mould. 3-light east window has segmental arch and trefoiled lights. 2-light west window has simple cusped reticulated tracery. Hood moulds with block stops. South aisle has 4 buttresses. Central south doorway of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould and foliage stops. Four 2-light south windows have cusped Y-tracery. East and west windows similar to north aisle. 3-bay clerestory has 2-light windows; C16 with 4-centred lights to north, C19 with trefoiled lights to south. Tower of 2 stages. Double chamfered plinth. West diagonal buttresses have 4 offsets up to parapet. Blocked west door. Late C14 west window of 2 orders, with cinqfoiled reticulated tracery and hood mould with head stops. Similar trefoiled bell openings, but with return stops. North and south gargoyles. Recessed octagonal spire with small lucarnes. Interior: plastered walls. Chancel has C19 south recess with segmental-pointed arch. C19 roof, with one reset medieval head corbel. C14 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the inner on half-octagon shafts with moulded capitals and bases, and hood mould with return stops. Nave has 5-bay C14 north arcade of 2 chamfered orders and octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and bases; easternmost bay has fragmentary foliage carving. Blocked square headed doorway to former roof loft. Similar south arcade of 1879. Low-pitched roof has simply-moulded cambered tie beams with wall posts on stone corbels. Aisles have chamfered cambered tie beams and chamfered rib. Fittings: C17 communion rails with twisted balusters. Font has C19 bowl on old cylindrical stem and square base. Pulpit of 5 late C17 fielded panels. North aisle has plain locker with fielded panel door and H-hinges. C17 chest. Stained glass: north aisle east window c.1883. Monuments: chancel has reset brass with inscription to Richard Willis 1597. Elizabeth Croker 1719: wall monument with flaming urn. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.I, pp.48-9; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.293).

Listing NGR: SP4168852157

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
306158
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904), 48-9
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 293

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].