DARLINGSCOTT FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED COACH HOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1355646
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
16-May-1988
Statutory Address:
DARLINGSCOTT FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED COACH HOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of DARLINGSCOTT FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED COACH HOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355646 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 10:42:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
DARLINGSCOTT FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED COACH HOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tredington
National Grid Reference:
SP 23266 42150

Details

TREDINGTON DARLINGSCOTT SP2342 13/245 Darlingscott Farmhouse and 13/10/66 attached coach house and outbuildings (Formerly listed as Darlingscote Farmhouse)

GV II*

Farmhouse. Early C17, with early C18 alterations. Squared, coursed lias with ashlar windows, quoins, coped gables and C18 string course. Slate roof with ashlar ridge and -end stacks and bases, one with 2 flues. 2 storeys plus attic; 4-window range. L-shaped plan. To centre left a C18 two-panelled door set a little back from original position, the original hinges remaining. Wood sill. Early C18 doorway with chamfered surround and mullioned overlight above. Datestone with hood mould above is inscribed 'WBM/1716'. Range of 3 four-light mullioned windows with single transoms. 3 windows have single casements. Four C19 slate hung dormers. Above door to right a sundial. To rear ground floor left a 4-light mullioned window, with king mullion. To right a 3-light part-blocked mullioned window with a quarry of heraldic stained glass. To first floor 2 three-light mullioned windows. To right facade ground floor a 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window. 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window above. Windows to right facade and rear have hood moulds with label stops. C20 one-storey lean-to to rear. To left of house a C19 coach house with living accommodation above, now converted to flat. Further outbuildings, now residential units, to left. Interior: to right of lobby a room with chamfered spine beam with arrow shaped stepped stop. Large open fireplace with chamfered stone surround and chamfered timber bressumer with stops. Blocked bread oven, and salt cupboard with ogee head. Room to left of passage has chamfered spine beam with partition mortices. In corner an ashlar, ovolo-moulded fireplace with 4-centred, moulded lintels. Some stone flagged floors. In lobby a C18 winder staircase with bobbin balusters, rising to attics. First floor has a further ashlar, ovolo-moulded and 4-centred arched fireplace. Further chamfered and stopped spine beams. Main range divided from wing by timber and plaster partition on both floors. Stick baluster staircase in wing. Throughout house C18 two panelled doors, those to main rooms with moulded rails. Blocked inglenook in kitchen, the timber bressumer remaining. History: heraldic quarry in main living room window shows probably the arms of Thomas Overbury who was born in Ilmington in 1581 and was an associate of Robert Carr. He was knighted in 1603, but was later imprisoned in Tower of London, where he was poisoned to death. It is believed this house was built by Overbury.

Listing NGR: SP2326642150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
306632
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15834/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].