THE CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355653
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355653.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:20:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Allington
National Grid Reference:
SU 20089 38583

Details

ALLINGTON BOSCOMBE SU 23 NW 4/10 The Close 18.2.58 II

House. Later C17 and c.1800. Flint and brick with tiled roof. Two storeys and attics. Probably originally a central hall bay with service room to left and cross parlour wing on right, outshut added to centre c.1800 and front elevation rebuilt in 3 stages. Entrance 6-panelled door, the upper panels glazed, under wood Tuscan portico of c.1800. Various timber casement windows with leaded glazing. Two dormers to front, one to rear. Roof hipped, and swept down over outshut to rear. Interior: Centre bay has double ovolo moulded spine beam, with single ovolo beam to right bay, now kitchen, with added gable stack of c.1800. Bar chamfer stops to left bay, formerly service room, now drawing room. Stair in outshut has bulbous newels and shaped balusters. Timber framed partitions to upper floor and C17 stair to attic with wavy splat balusters. Double purlin roof, lower butt, and upper clasped. (RCHM survey).

Listing NGR: SU2008938583

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319908
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15319/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].