STANDLYNCH MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355696
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
STANDLYNCH MILL, STANDLYNCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of STANDLYNCH MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355696 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 07:50:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
STANDLYNCH MILL, STANDLYNCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Downton
National Grid Reference:
SU 18154 23555

Details

DOWNTON STANDLYNCH SU 12 SE (west side) 4/126 Standlynch Mill

GV II

Mill on River Avon, now disused, with cottage. late C18, C19 remodelling. English bond brick with stepped plinth and vitrified headers, half-hipped tiled roof, brick stacks. L-plan with single- storey C18 wing and late C19 extension. Single-storey and attic, 5 windows. Stable door in chamfered case with initials MB 1698 on lintel, planked door to right and 2-light casements and louvred windows to left. Five hipped dormers to roof, one with 2-light latticed leaded casements. Left return has several louvred windows. Right return has 2-light casements to ground and first floors. Rear has louvred windows and semi-circular arch over mill race to right, to left are 2-light casements. Interior has chamfered beams with runout stops, cupboard with butterfly hinges in west room, 6-bay roof with original C17 trusses, tie-beam with raking struts to collar and two tiers of butt purlins, the upper tier with straight wind bracing. The initials MB are of Maurice Bockland of the original Standlynch House nearby, demolished c1733; his wife rebuilt Standlynch Chapel (q.v.), 1677. (Unpublished records of RCHM England), Salisbury. Country Life, July 13th, 1945 page 68)

Listing NGR: SU1815423555

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319685
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 13 July, (1945), 68

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/11789/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].