CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355734
Date first listed:
28-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:25:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Laverstock
National Grid Reference:
SU 15939 30903

Details

SU 13 SE LAVERSTOCK CHURCH ROAD (west side)

2/102 Church of St. Andrew



GV II

Anglican parish church. 1858 by T. H. Wyatt. Knapped flint with ashlar quoins, plain and fish-scale tiled roof with coped verges saddlestones and cross finials. Consists of nave, south aisle, chancel, south chapel, south porch and attached church room at west end, bellcote at west gable. Gothic-style. Gabled south porch has Romanesque door with chevron moulding, incorporating some original stone, and attached shafts; angle buttresses and three cusped lancets to west side. Inner door has pointed arch with hoodmould and foliated terminals, door leading to south aisle is similar. South side aisle has 2-light window with plate tracery and hoodmould to left of porch and to right are pair of cusped lancets either side of central 2-light window with plate tracery and hoodmould with foliated terminals, gable over. Clerestory has 4 cinquefoils. South chapel has shouldered doorway, blocked from inside, and cusped lancet to right. East window of chapel is group of three cusped lancets, continuous string course at east end of church. Chancel has 2-light plate tracery window with hoodmould on south side, 3-light plate tracery window with hoodmould and carved head terminals to east end and three cusped lancets to north side. North side nave has one 3-light plate tracery window and two 2-light plate tracery windows. West window is 4-light geometric decorated-style. Attached to west end and enlarged in C20 is flat-roofed church room and vestry with two 3-light C16- style square-headed windows to west side. Interior: 5-bay nave has plain painted walls, arch-braced collar truss roof on stone corbels with decorative painting on roof. Pointed arcade of 3 double-chamfered arches to south aisle; lean- to roof. South chapel through pointed east arch; braced-collar rafter roof. Chancel has scissor-rafter roof, double chamfered pointed chancel arch, pointed arch to south chapel and door with hoodmould and foliated terminals. Fittings: all original Victorian furnishings. West window and other windows have re-used C13 grisaille glass from Salisbury Cathedral, found in the city ditch in 1933. Chancel windows re-use C18 and early C19 stained glass, north side chancel are good late C19 stained glass windows to Greenly family. Wall tablets in south porch of C18 and early C19, including one with fine lettering to Peter Bathurst of Clarendon Park, died 1718. In the west end of the churchyard are some fragmentary remains of a Medieval church. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: SU1593930903

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319482
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10149/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hubbard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].