THE ORANGERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355748
Date first listed:
08-Jun-1978
Statutory Address:
THE ORANGERY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ORANGERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355748 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 23:50:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ORANGERY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wilton
National Grid Reference:
SU 09802 31021

Details

1. 5409 WILTON PARK The Orangery SU 0931 5/120

II GV

2. 1822-25 by William Woodcock and possibly supervised by Sir Richard Westmacott. Ashlar on wide plinth of 3 moulded steps. 7 bays to south separated by square (moulded) panelled piers and lintels (also moulded). Cornice with godroon based vases. Tripartite pedimented gable ends. All openings cross glazed with small panes. Interior has glazed roof with cast-iron trusses. Lion's mask over back door. Stone flanking walls full-height to north-east and north-west; these have plain blocks to top band and tall arched openings, 3 to west, 4 to east. Inside are marble plaques on the piers and one has a Roman black basalt ram's or goat's head. A tablet inscribed:-

"Beneath this little stone intered Lies little Charlotte's little Bird, Who, tho' a captive, all day long Sang merrily his little song: When this little Favourite died, A while his little Mistress cried, She has almost forgot him now, So stranger, weep a little Thou.

1778".

Listing NGR: SU1055030729

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319359
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08487/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].