This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LLOYDS BANK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LLOYDS BANK

List entry Number: 1355773

Location

LLOYDS BANK, BLUE BOAR ROW
LLOYDS BANK, CHIPPER LANE
LLOYDS BANK, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Salisbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319208

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARKET PLACE 1. 1594 (Blue Boar Row) Lloyds Bank SU 1430 SW 1/414 II GV 2. Large L shape site with front to Castle Street as well. To Market Place left hand 5 bays of 1869 with matching 5 bay extension to right of 1901. Elaborate debased classical front of Ham Hill stone. Original half of 1869. 3 storeys. Plinth, panelled frieze and cornice over ground floor. Panelled frieze and cornice on reeded brackets over first floor. Plain frieze and main cornice rising up as segmental pediment over centre. Arcaded parapet articulated by capped piers. In centre, over pediment, a plinth supporting female sculptured group and date tablet. 5 windows to upper floor, recessed sashes, glazing bars camber headed with architrave surrounds on second floor, round headed on first floor. The second floor is articulated by short pilasters panelled to corners and 1/4 pilasters added to those flanking centre. First floor has broad flanking pilasters with stylised anthemion capitals, 3/4 columns between windows and doubled to centre, with similar capitals. Entablature moulding as imposts to architrave arches over windows on this floor with blind columnar balustrades below each window. 4 windows, no glazing bars on ground floor with broad pilasters flanking central entrance and corners, narrow ones between, all with foliate band carving to capitals. Ornate double panelled doors, plain semi-circular fanlight, imposts and roll moulding to arch, carved spandrels and figured keystone. The 5 bay extension to right, of 1901, is in same style and very slightly recessed. The site extends back to Castle Street And Chipper Lane. The block on corner of Chipper Lane and Castle Street dates from 1901. Robust Baroque, tall 2 storeys ashlar (Ham stone?), granite plinth. Capped brackets to cornice, parapet with blind balustered panels, projecting string between storeys. Ground floor has banded rustication, rusticated quoins. To Castle Street: wide slightly projecting bay next to corner with large pediment breaking through parapet. 5 windows first floor, 4 on ground floor. Architrave surrounds, cornice broken forward to sides, large stepped keystones. On ground floor Gibbs surrounds and cambered heads. Doorway to right with similar surround. The pedimented bay has tripartite windows to both floors, that on first floor with dividing pilasters, dentil cornice to entablature, keystone, segmental broken pediment over centre, apron below. Ground floor has Gibbs surround curved over centre light. The corner is curved and slightly recessed between rusticated quoins. Chipper Lane front similar lath 3 windows, that to centre first floor having Gibbs surround and pediment. 2 storey slightly later extension of 9 bays. Mansard slate roof. 4 segmental pedimented dormers. Cornice and frieze, stringcourse and plinth, Windows have cambered heads on first floor, large keystones. Central doorway in Gibbs surround segmental head, panel over above stringcourse.

Nos 34, 35, The Chough Hotel, No 37 and Lloyds Bank form a group.

Listing NGR: SU1439430106

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 14394 30106

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355773 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 08:58:58.

End of official listing