9, THE CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1355833

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: 9, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 9, THE CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355833 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:37:08.

Location

Statutory Address: 9, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14448 29630

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 No 9

SU 1429 NW 3/53 28.2.52. II* GV 2. Later C18 refacing of C17 building. 2 storeys and attic, red brick. North entrance front has projecting plinth and 1st floor string. Wide brick rusticated quoins colourwashed. Hipped old tile roof with 3 hipped dormers. Small moulded eaves cornice. 5 windows, centre tripartite on 1st floor. 4 on ground floor, symmetrical front: flush architrave framed sashes, glazing bars intact, flat rubber arched, 6 panel shutters to ground floor windows. Central entrance with door of 6 fielded panels with panelled frame and large arched fanlight of concentric and radiating glazing pattern. Doric porch of stone columns, painted pilasters on wall face, and painted entablature with dentil cornice each side supporting open segmental dentil and moulded pediment hood. West front - colourwashed stucco. Old tile roof one leaded dormer casement. Projecting left hand wing similar design to north front with 1 window on 1st floor and early Cl9 8-light mullioned and transomed window with French casements and large sliding shutters on ground floor. Remainder has 2 windows on 1st floor, one window (C19 and glazed door on ground floor. In the kitchen and hall, panelling from the former Cathedral choir stalls probably designed by Wren for Bishop Seth Ward. Hall has some mid C18 panelling with open pediments supported by Corinthian pilasters. Stair entrance later C17 with 2 arches and rusticated square pillar. Staircase later C17, closed stringtring, posts with vases. One room has good Rococo stucco ceiling. The roof line of wing to rear is extended over No 8 The Close qv.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1444629630

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318968

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing