THE MATRON'S COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1355846
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
THE MATRON'S COLLEGE, 39-46, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MATRON'S COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355846 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 08:08:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MATRON'S COLLEGE, 39-46, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Salisbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 14280 29706

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 Nos 39 to 46 (consec) (The Matron's College) SU 1429 NW 3/26 28.2.52. 1 GV 2. Established by Seth Ward in 1682 and probably designed by Sir C Wren. 2 storey range, red brick on projecting plinth with moulded capping. 1st floor string and bold, moulded and bracketed cornice. Hipped old tile roof. Symmetrical design with projecting flanking stone quoined wings, each with 2 light casements and circular central attic dormer with scroll supports and ball finial. The centre of main block has a pediment with cornice carried over, and sheild of Royal Coat of Arms and supporting fruit swags in tympanum. Above pediment an octagonal glazed lantern, lead roof. 12 2 light casements on 1st floor, 10 on ground floor, all with stone surrounds and mullions. Secondary doors in architrave surrounds, frieze and cornice, at corners and central door in architrave surround, projecting wooden hood with segmental pediment and panelled soffit on double scroll carved brackets. All doors early C19 6 fielded panels. Stone panel over central door with inscription in moulded frame with small carved scrolls and swag ornament, supporting small bracketed cornice, all resting on stone corbelling. The rear elevation has 5 gables. Chimney stacks set diagonally and grouped.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.



Listing NGR: SU1427429723

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319020
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].