52-54, Bathampton Street

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355892
Date first listed:
17-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
52-54, Bathampton Street, Swindon, SN1 5EG

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355892.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 06:49:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
52-54, Bathampton Street, Swindon, SN1 5EG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Swindon (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 14520 84776

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 23/04/2020

SU 1484 NE 6/6

SWINDON BATHAMPTON STREET (north side) Nos. 52 - 54

17.2.70

GV II In order to house the workforce for the new Great Western Railway works, IK Brunel designed a new village to the south of the railway line. Brunel’s early layout drawings of 1840 show a grid similar to the final plan of 12 terraces in six blocks on either side of the High Street (from 1893 Emlyn Square). Construction started in 1842, and by 1855 most of the buildings had been completed. Houses and cottages of different types were built, as well as lodging houses. Brunel himself designed only the first block of 1842 (4-25 Bristol Street); as it was visible from the railway line, this is in a more decorative style than the others.

The financial difficulties of the contractors JD & C Rigby, who undertook to build 300 cottages but only completed 130, delayed the completion of the village until the 1850s. The cottages to the west of Emlyn Square were built first (1842-1843), followed by those on the east side (1845-1847). The end blocks towards Emlyn Square, containing corner shops on the ground floor, were built in 1845-1847, and the remainder, mostly end blocks on the outer ends of the streets, were built in 1853-1855. In 1966, the local authority acquired the cottages from British Rail and restored them. The village is one of Britain’s best-preserved and architecturally most ambitious railway settlements.

Terrace of three cottages, 1845-1846. For Great Western Railway Company. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins. Slate roofs. Two-storey, Nos. 52 and 53, one bay; No. 54 of two bays. Twenty-pane doors inset on splay. Four-pane sashes. Stone rear yard walls and outbuilding. Extensively renovated c1974.

Listing NGR: SU1451584774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318677
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cattell, J, Falconer, K, Swindon: The Legacy of a Railway Town (RCHME), (1995), 44, 57
Hudson, K, Transport History
Large, F , Swindon Retrospect 1855-1930, (1931)
Peck, A , The Great Western at Swindon Works, (1983)
Silto, J , A Swindon History 1840-1901

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04341/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Robert Slade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].