Villetts House

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1355900
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
Villetts House, 42, Cricklade Street, Swindon, SN1 3HB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Villetts House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355900 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2019 at 02:17:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
Villetts House, 42, Cricklade Street, Swindon, SN1 3HB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Swindon (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SU1572683798

Details

SU 1583 NE 8/63

SWINDON CRICKLADE STREET (east side) No. 42 (Villetts House)

2.10.51

II* House, now offices, 1729. Stone, facade of Flemish brickwork with ashlar limestone dressings. Tiled roof. Three storeys and cellars.

Five bays with brick apsidal ends of c1800. Rear wings with former entrance to left wing. Central hallway with flanking reception rooms and stair to rear. Elevation of two storeys framed with giant composite pilasters. Entrance up four steps; Corinthian doorcase with segmental stepped pediment and dropped keystone. Five-panelled and fielded door, the upper light with intersecting pointed glazing bars. Above entrance on first floor, elaborate Venetian window with eight-paned centre sash. Side lights brought forward with composite pilasters and elaborate entablature. Windows to both floors with intermittently moulded architraves and stepped keystones with a variety of masks. Brick aprons. Modillion cornice and pediment over three centre bays breaking through blind balustrade with baluster panels. Apsidal ends have twelve-pane sashes, originals curved on upper floor. Side entrance with bracketed canopy and margin glazed door, now blocked.

Interior: fielded dado panelling to hallway. Radial fanlight to rear stair hall. Three-storey stair with three turned balusters to each tread and carved tread-end brackets. Extensive brick vaulted cellars.

Listing NGR: SU1572683798

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318722
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].