NOS 11 AND 12 AND BALUSTRADED GARDEN WALL TO REAR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355954
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Sep-1979
Statutory Address:
NOS 11 AND 12 AND BALUSTRADED GARDEN WALL TO REAR, 11 AND 12, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NOS 11 AND 12 AND BALUSTRADED GARDEN WALL TO REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355954 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 10:03:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
NOS 11 AND 12 AND BALUSTRADED GARDEN WALL TO REAR, 11 AND 12, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Swindon (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Highworth
National Grid Reference:
SU 20167 92447

Details

1. 5410 HIGIIVORTH HIGH STREET (south side) Nos 11 and 12 and balustraded garden wall to rear formerly listed as Premises adjacent to No 10 on west side) SU 2092 SW 18/274 26.1.55

II GV

2. Circa 1720. Two and a half storeys. Stucco fronted with stone slate roof. Hipped break to left with modern tile roof; dentil cornice and 2 first floor segmental headed glazing bar sashes; on ground floor projecting shop front with moulded fascia and 3 windows, through passage to left, 4 bay lower extension to right with moulded plaster cornice and glazing bar sashes. Projecting shop of 2-3-2 lights and recessed entrance, through passage to left, 9 panel door with large hand and wreath knocker. Central gabled dormer. Brick chimney to right. To rear: large 2 storey stone slated, painted brick extension forming east wing, has large external stone stack at gable. Another 2 storey extension forms west wing, also partly stone tiled. The 2 wings form a pleasant courtyard to rear of No 12. There is a short section of balustraded C18 wall to south in garden. To rear of No 11 is heavily enriched room with cornice and ceiling rose decoration.

Listing NGR: SU2013192440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318393
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00280/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Melvyn Gigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].