GROUP OF 8 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD, 1 TO 7 METRES SOUTH WEST OF LYCHGATE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356006
Date first listed:
03-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 8 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD, 1 TO 7 METRES SOUTH WEST OF LYCHGATE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 8 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD, 1 TO 7 METRES SOUTH WEST OF LYCHGATE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 23:47:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 8 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD, 1 TO 7 METRES SOUTH WEST OF LYCHGATE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sherston
National Grid Reference:
ST 85392 85995

Details

SHERSTON CHURCH STREET ST 8486-8586 (west side) 7/80 Group of 8 monuments in the church- yard, 1-7m south-west of Lychgate, Church of the Holy Cross GV II

Eight chest tombs. Early C18. Limestone. Lettered from north to south and east to west. a) Unidentified. Flower drops to angle pilasters on north face, reeded surround to inscription panel on south face, cyma recta moulded slab. b) Goodenough family. 1722. Floral angle pilasters, entwined sprays framing oval inscription panel with elegant black Roman lettering to north side. Lozenge panels to west end, cartouche to east. Moulded cornice, cyma recta moulded slab. c) Richard Goodenough. 1732. Floral angle pilasters, entwined sprays framing oval inscription panel with elegant incised Roman lettering painted black to north side. Putti and swags to west end, lozenge panel to east. Moulded cornice, cyma recta moulded slab. d) John Goodenough. 1722. Floral angle pilasters, flower drops framing projecting rectangular panel to north side: Roman lettering. Cyma recta moulded slab. e) John Goodenough. Floral angle pilasters and raised and fielded panels to sides and ends, those to south side with acanthus leaf borders. Oval inscription panel to south with incised lettering. Moulded cornice, cyma recta moulded slab. f) Unidentified. Floral angle pilasters and raised and fielded panels to sides and ends, those to south side with acanthus leaf borders. Oval inscription panel to south with incised lettering now eroded. Moulded cornice, cyma recta moulded slab. g) Unidentified. Floral angle pilasters and raised and fielded panels to sides and ends, those to south side with acanthus leaf borders. Oval inscription panel to south with incised lettering now eroded. South side collapsing at time of resurvey (June 1986). Moulded cornice, cyma recta moulded slab. h) Thomas and Mary Goodenough. Raised and fielded panels to sides and ends, some with acanthus leaf borders. Two blank panels to north, 1 panel to south with italic and Roman incised lettering Moulded cornice, cyma recta moulded slab.

Listing NGR: ST8539685992

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318077
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01393/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Kirsty Denley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].