CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1356042

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SWAN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 15:15:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SWAN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Leigh

National Grid Reference: SU 06244 92159

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 09 SE THE LEIGH SWAN LANE (south side)

5/224 Church of All Saints (formerly listed as All Saints Chapel) 17.1.55 II*

Anglican parish church. C14 and 1896 by C.E. Ponting. Squared limestone rubble, stone slate roof. Nave rebuilt from old church and new chancel added, all at cost of £1,300. C14 porch entrance with wave moulding and hood. Sundial above. Inner door has simple chamfer. C14 two and 3-light ogee headed windows to nave. Chancel windows in Perpendicular style, 3-light east window, 2-light north window, all with flattened cusping. Angle buttresses. Organ recess under extension of chancel roof. Foliated crosses to gables. Timber framed tower over west bay of tower, roughcast externally and with 2-light pointed bell openings. Hipped gablet roof. Interior: Porch has ogee niche, with some red paint, and arch braced collar beam roof on moulded wall plate. False purlins. Incised date 1659. Nave of 5 bays, open timber roof probably medieval in origin but dated 1638 on crenellated wall plate with inscriptions, and initials IT, IL and CW 1783 on purlin. C17 carved principal rafters and decorated purlins. Wavy windbraces to lowest bay. East bay of roof is panelled with carved bosses at intersections of moulded ribs. West bay contains heavy braced frame for tower. Chancel has panelled barrel vault and original C19 fittings. Fittings: Font, limestone. C13. Four-lobed basin on slightly lobed stem. Pulpit C18 simple oak panelled with tester. C19 screen across west bay of nave forming vestry.

Listing NGR: SU0624492159

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 317874

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing