CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1356045

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 10:10:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lydiard Millicent

National Grid Reference: SU 09338 86002

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 08 NE LYDIARD MILLICENT THE STREET (north side)

8/231 Church of All Saints 17.1.55 II*

Anglican parish church C14, C15 and C19. Rubble limestone originally rendered. Stone slate roofs. Nave, independently roofed south aisle with porch, chancel, west tower and north chancel vestry. Nave of C14 has 2 Perpendicular 3-light north windows. South aisle, of C14, has 2- and 3-light reticulated windows and 7 masks set in wall, probably from earlier corbel table. Sundial in south-east corner. Chancel windows 2-light square-headed with ogee tracery, the east window C19. Blocked priest's door on south side. West tower of 3 stages, 3-light west window and small door under. Angle buttresses. Bell stage has two-light openings with pierced stone screens. Quatrefoiled parapet and corner spirelets. Stair tower added to north side 1858. South porch of 2 chamfered orders and internal benches. Iron wind vane to tower. Interior: Nave, plastered. 3 bay arcade to south aisle on octagonal columns. Open C15-C16 roof of 6½ bays with carved bosses. Hollow moulded chancel arch and wall brackets. Chancel largely rebuilt in 1871. Arch to vestry. Timber panelled vault. Squint from nave. Aisle also has open timber roof with arch braced trussed rafters. Trefoiled piscina with slot for credence shelf. Fittings; Font, C12, limestone bowl with intersecting arcading. Pulpit, later C16 oak panelled. Octagonal with good ironmongery. Other fittings date from C19, including curious canopy over south door of 1857, and screen to vestry, Gothic of 1924. Organ under tower arch. Monuments: Nave north wall. Tablet. C18. White and grey marbles. Panel with coloured border and broken pediment with urn. Obelisk over with arms and crest. To FERDINANDO ASKEW, died 1783, and family. In aisle: Two wall tablets, C19, white and grey marbles. To BRIAN BEWLEY, died 1849, and EDWARD MILLINGTON, died 1864. Furniture: In vestry, fine carved reading desk of 1862, converted to vestment chest. Chest, raised on legs with stretchers. C18.

Listing NGR: SU0933886002

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 317881

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing