CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356150
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, GOSFORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356150 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 22:14:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, GOSFORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Copeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Seascale
National Grid Reference:
NY 03788 01140

Details

SEASCALE GOSFORTH ROAD NY 00 SW (north side) 5/74 Church of St Cuthbert GV II Church. 1879 or 1890. By C J Ferguson. Snecked dressed stone with slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel, south nave and organ loft, north vestry. Coped gables. West end has 2 traceried windows of 2 lights flanking short buttress, gabled bellcote, aisle has vesica window. South elevation has gabled porch with 2-light straight-headed traceried window; aisle has 3-light traceried straight-headed windows, rainwater heads dated 1889, scrolly brackets to downspouts; gabled organ loft with 2-light window and 2-light chancel window. East end has 4-light window with recticulated tracery. North vestry has east entrance, 4-light north window, west stack; 5-bay nave north elevation has 2-light windows, single-chamfered. Interior: arch braced collar trusses to nave roof; 5-bay arcade on round piers. Chancel arch of 2 orders; polished marble octagonal font, simple form with traceried cover. Chancel has 2-bay arcade to organ loft; richly carved pulpit, stalls and ambos, east panelling and brattished reredos, waggon roof with bosses; stained glass to chancel windows.



Listing NGR: NY0378801140

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
76374
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02681/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Julian Thurgood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].