GRAVESTONES AND GRAVEYARD WALL APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF TETLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356163
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
GRAVESTONES AND GRAVEYARD WALL APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF TETLEY HALL, WHARF ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAVESTONES AND GRAVEYARD WALL APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF TETLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356163 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 21:42:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRAVESTONES AND GRAVEYARD WALL APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF TETLEY HALL, WHARF ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Crowle
National Grid Reference:
SE 77602 11812

Details

SE 71 SE CROWLE WHARF ROAD (south-west side, off) Tetley 3/57 Gravestones and graveyard wall approximately 50 metres north of Tetley Hall

GV II

Gravestones and graveyard wall. Early C18 gravestones. C18 - C19 graveyard wall, perhaps with earlier origins, and later rebuilding and repairs. Ashlar gravestones, some on brick bases. Dwarf brick wall with ashlar ridge coping, perhaps reset, enclosing area approximately 8 metres north-south, by 3 metres wide. 5 recumbent rectangular gravestones, in order from north: 1) to Joan, wife of James Stovin, of 1729, with inscription below incised scrolled round arch. 2) to James Stovin of 1762, with inscription below roundel containing relief of arms and crest in foliate surround. 3) to Mary, daughter of George and Sarah Stovin, of 1759, with inscription below incised round arch. 4) to Sarah, daughter of George and Sarah Stovin, of 1733 with inscription below incised corbelled round arch. 5) finely inscribed stone of 1724 recording burial of James, George and Sarah Stovin, with inscription below a roundel containing relief of Stovin crest (a bow with arrow erect) and incised scrolled round arch. The Stovin family, Quakers who played a prominent role in the history of the Isle of Axholme, occupied Tetley Hall in the C17-C18. Further burials may be contained in the pyramid monument (qv) nearby to the east. W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, p 256.

Listing NGR: SE7760211812

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165117
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Read, W, History of the Isle of Axholme, (1858), 256

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].