Union Mill


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Union Mill, The Hill, Cranbrook


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356175.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2021 at 19:28:51.


Statutory Address:
Union Mill, The Hill, Cranbrook

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Cranbrook & Sissinghurst
National Grid Reference:
TQ 77906 35948


This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/02/2018

TQ 7735 NE 12/196

CRANBROOK THE HILL (north east side), Union Mill

(Formerly listed as Cranbrook or Union Windmill, previously listed as The Windmill)


GV I Smock Mill. 1814, by millwright James Humphrey; Henry Dobell miller. Painted brick base with timber-framed and weatherboarded structure above and timber-framed and weatherboarded boat-shaped cap. Wooden sweeps and fantail.

Four-storey base and three-storey upper structure. Scattered fenestration in both upper and lower parts with various entrances and granary doors. Encircling platform above base of wood on iron braces with iron railing. Machinery intact and in working order; still in use as a mill, though more often milling by electricity than by wind-power (when surveyed).

Listing NGR: TQ7790635946


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, John, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (2012), 203
Wailes, R, The English Windmill, (1954), 34-7


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08546/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey Farrow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].