CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST RADEGUND

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1356217

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST RADEGUND, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST RADEGUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:27:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST RADEGUND, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway (District Authority)

Parish: Postling

National Grid Reference: TR 14545 39092

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 13 NW POSTLING THE STREET (west side)

3/57 Church of St. 29.12.66 Mary and St. Radegund

GV I

Parish church. Late C11 or C12, C13 and C19. Restored 1896-7. Roughly coursed stone and flint rubble with stone dressings. Plain tile roofs. Shingled spire. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel. West tower: C13. No stages, no plinth. Integral pilaster buttresses to west. Stone eaves band. Splay-footed spire. Two C19 lancets to north and two to south of belfry. Small rectangular louvred opening towards top of west face. Small louvred lancet lower down to west and another to south. Moulded pointed- arched west doorway. Nave: south elevation: late C11 or C12. Roughly coursed flint with trends of herringbone stone-work. No plinth. One C19 lancet. One C15 two-light window with cusped ogee-headed lights, squared head and hoodmould. South porch: 1825. Roughcast, with gabled plain-tile roof. Round-headed outer doorway with datestone G.S. Inner doorway C.W. 1825 pointed-arched and chamfered with broach stops. Chancel: late C11 or C12, extended later (probably in C13). No plinth. North-east and south-east angle buttresses. Two C19 trefoil-headed south lancets. C19 three-light pointed-arched east window with hoodmould. 2 restored north lancets of uneven size. Nave: north elevation: one buttress. Broad hollow-chamfered lancet towards east. Small round-headed central window. C19 lancet towards west. Interior: structure: chancel arch with late C11 or C12 nicked and chamfered imposts and imprinted enrichment; arch pointed and chamfered, rebuilt in C13. No tower arch. Moulded rere-arches to north nave lancets. Roof: crown-post roof to nave with four moulded octagonal crown-posts on moulded tie-beams. Sous-laces, ashlar-pieces and moulded cornice. Similar roof to chancel, but with renewed crown-posts. Fittings: piscina towards east end of south wall of chancel with renewed trefoiled head. Very small trefoil-headed opening in north wall opposite. Pointed-arched opening to east end of south wall of nave. Chamfered segmental-headed opening to north- west end of chancel. Font with deep rectangular tapering stone bowl on five shafts with bell bases. Stumps of moulded, coloured beams on stone corbels; north and south ends of rood beam towards east end of nave, and south end of a beam half way down chancel. Chamfered, uncoloured stump, also on corbel, about ½ metres to east of last beam. Small dedication stone to north wall of chancel giving date (14th August) but not year; a rare survival. Decoration: fragments of C12 wall-painting to south-west corner of nave; frieze of zig-zag bands with stylized flowers to angles, and key exposed above. Further fragment, probably C17, superimposed on west wall. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, North-east and East Kent, 1983.)

Listing NGR: TR1460239032

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 175634

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

End of official listing