CHADDOCK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356222

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1966

Statutory Address: CHADDOCK HALL, CHADDOCK LANE, M28 1DN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHADDOCK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356222 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:16:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHADDOCK HALL, CHADDOCK LANE, M28 1DN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 71146 01045

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 70 SW, 3/40

TYLDESLEY, CHADDOCK LANE (north side), Chaddock Hall

18/07/66

G.V.

II

House. C17 and C18 with C19 alterations. Brick and timber- framing most of which has been rendered over. Slate roof. T- shaped 2-storey house with a range added to left probably in late C18. Four bays, the first is gabled and has two 12-pane sash windows on the ground floor, a total of three replacement casements on the upper.floors and an ornate rainwater head at rear dated 1721. Bay 2 is also gabled and defines the extent of the timber-framed structure which is largely intact. It has a C19 canted bay window, a door with architrave surround and a replaced casement window on first floor. Both gables have kneelers, copings and finials of C19. Bays 3 and 4 have a date stone at rear: "T.C. 1698" (Thomas Chaydock) and an ornate lead rainwater-head dated "S.C. 1780". Total of three casement windows and a blocked door in bay 4. Gable chimney stack. A gabled crosswing to right (forming an H-plan) has long been demolished. C18 and C19 additions to rear.

INTERIOR: the timber-framed structure is two rooms deep; the central crosswall rises through two storeys, has diagonal braces and is surmounted by a raised cruck truss. Also an ogee-arched door lintel. Early 6-panel and boarded doors throughout. Good plasterwork ceiling and cornices. Fine early C19 staircase with moulded handrail, column-on-vase balusters; a cut string and fluted column newels. Beams, some with broach stops. Right hand room has fine C17 panelling some with lozenge panels, original beams and an ovolo-moulded beam taken from Eccles Parish Church.

Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907.

Listing NGR: SD7114601045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213509

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1906)

End of official listing