CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356248

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1991

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANNE, TYDLESLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356248 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 04:00:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANNE, TYDLESLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 68188 02581

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added: ATHERTON TYLDESLEY ROAD SD 60 SE (west side), 2/63 Hinsford Church of St Anne II Church, 1899-1901. By Austin and Paley. Thinly-coursed sandstone, graduated Westmorland slate roof. Orientated north-west/south-east, ritual orientation used here. 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and transept; 2-bay chancel with tower and vestry against south side. In Gothic Revival style. Nave: gabled porch to right; offset buttress divides 4 two-light windows with sill bond, hollow-chamfered surrounds and cusped tracery. Gabled transept has tall 4-light window with reticulated tracery under pointed arch and hoodmould. North side: 3:4:2 windows (as south) divided by buttresses. Buttresses flank quadrant-moulded west window of 4 lights under pointed arch and hoodmould; square-headed, 2-light aisle windows. Coped gable with slit and apex cross. Tower: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses; tall 2-light window with hoodmould, string course beneath short belfry stage with louvred, square-headed 2-light openings; buttress on right rises as octagonal turret at corner of embattled parapet; pyramidal roof with weathervane. Chancel: traceried 3-light windows to each side; large buttresses flank pointed 5-light east window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. Vestry in angle with tower is gabled to south and has 3-and 2-light windows with sill bond which rises as hood over shouldered lintel of east doorway.

Interior: Aisles have alternate hexagonal and round piers, double-chamfered arches. Arch-braced king-post roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Corbelled and ribbed arch beneath tower. Contemporary pews. Marble font under wooden-spire cover.

Listing NGR: SD6818802581

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213548

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing