CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356253

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, WARRINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356253 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 14:14:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, WARRINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 57707 98959

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD WARRINGTON ROAD SJ 59 NE (east side) 11/8 Church of 7.12.66 St. Thomas II Church, 1891-3. By Oldham of Manchester. Stone with concrete tile roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, west tower, chancel with north organ loft and south and east vestries. Tower has north and south entrances with weathering and weathered buttresses above. West 4-light window with perpendicular tracery. North-west square stair turret. Louvred bell openings, paired to east and west over 3-face clock, cornice and embattled parapet with gargoyle to east. Nave of 3 bays has paired 3-light elliptical-headed aisle windows between flat buttresses to south, to north are 1:2:2-light windows. Clerestory has straight-headed traceried windows mostly of 3 lights. South vestry of 2 gabled bays has 3 weathered buttresses and 4-light windows small gabled porch. Chancel has 7-light east window with low blind panels, one inscribed "Re-BUILT/1892-3", with a keystone below dated 1714 from former church. 3-light north window and lateral stack. East vestry is C20 with 3-light straight-headed window. Organ loft is gabled, angled to follow street; 3 straight-headed traceried lights and wheel window; projection to west has parapet and entrance. Interior: Nave has arcades with octagonal piers and no capitals; the springers have shields. Arch-braced king and queen post roof. Chancel arch is corbelled and has Tudor flower ornament. Wood pulpit and stalls and panelling to sanctuary; traceried reredos. North piscina with traceried straight head. Font is octagonal on shafts and tracery panels, relief crosses to alternate faces.

Listing NGR: SJ5770798959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213564

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing