CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1356273

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, MEADOW LANE, WEST DERBY, L12 5EA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 10:59:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, MEADOW LANE, WEST DERBY, L12 5EA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 39723 93346

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/01/2016

SJ 3993 17/78

WEST DERBY, Meadow Lane, Church of Saint Mary

(Formerly listed as: ALMONDS GREEN (east side) L12, Church of Saint Mary)

12.07.66

G.V.

II*

Church. 1853-56. Sir George Gilbert Scott. Stone with slate roofs. 5-bay nave with aisles under lean-to roofs and north and south porches. Transepts and crossing tower. 3-bay chancel and north and south chapels; vestry on south side. Geometrical style. West entrance of 2 orders with window above of 4 lights, aisle west windows of 2 lights. Aisles have cornice and parapet, windows of 3 lights and stone rainwater heads in the form of beasts; offset buttresses. Clerestory has 2-light windows. Porch, entrance of 2 orders, sides have quatrefoil and trefoil openings (north porch blocked, 1984). North transept has 4-light north window, spherical triangle windows to east and west; canted stair turret with pinnacle to west. Tower of 2 stages has octagonal angle turrets with crocketed pinnacles. Lower stage has 5-bay blind arcade with cusped arches with frieze of quatrefoils and embattled parapet over. Upper stage has paired 2-light bell openings with canopied niche above, Lombard frieze and pierced parapet. Chancel has apsidal end, 2-light windows and Lombard frieze. Chapels have 3- light east window and 2-light side windows. North Chapel windows blocked (1984). Vestry has windows of 2 and 3 cusped lights an parapet. South transept, three 2-light windows with chamfered buttresses below and rose above.

INTERIOR has arcades with round columns, wall shafts and scissor-braced roofs. Crossing with clustered shafts and triforium with 2-light traceried openings; flat ceiling over. Chancel has 2-bay arcade on quatrefoil piers to south chapel, organ loft to north. Octagonal font has traceried canopy. Pulpit, choir stalls, chancel panelling and screen and reredos at south chapel by J. O. Scott, 1906. Stained glass mostly by Hardman. Of particular note is the fine carving of the arcade capitals. One of Sir Gilbert Scott's better works, with a particularly good interior. (Sundial from previous church set on south wall and dated 1793.)

Listing NGR: SJ3972393346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213670

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing