CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356289
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, BELLE VALE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356289 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 17:16:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, BELLE VALE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 43172 88108

Details

SJ 48 NW BELLE VALE ROAD L25

8/135 Church of St. Stephen 14.3.75

G.V. II

Church. 1872-4. Cornelius Sherlock. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof with tile ridge. Nave with aisles under lean-to roof, south porch, north west steeple, chancel and flanking vestries. 5-bay nave has aisle windows of 2 and 3 cusped ogee-headed lights, clerestory has rose windows. Tower has angled buttresses with crocketed gables. West entrance; paired lancets flank niche with statue; cusped Lombard frieze and embattled parapet with gargoyles; recessed spire with lucarnes. West window of 4 lights with intersecting tracery. North vestry has entrance and 2-light window, south vestry dated 1897 has gabled roof and 2-light windows. Chancel has 3-light east window with reticulated tracery and diagonal buttresses, lateral stack. Interior has arcades on round columns. Scissor-braced roof, end 2 bays blocked. West window of 1880's by Morris and Co. Chancel has timber screen. Coffered roof.

Listing NGR: SJ4317288108

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213746
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06438/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].