CHURCH OF ST CYPRIAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356350
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CYPRIAN, DURNING ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CYPRIAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356350.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 00:59:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CYPRIAN, DURNING ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 37093 90548

Details

SJ 3790 DURNING ROAD L7

28/407 Church of - St. Cyprian

- II

Church. 1879-81. H. Sumners. Roof reconstructed 1896-8, Willink and Thicknesse. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 6-bay nave with passage aisles, west tower, 3-bay transeptal extension to east end of north aisle, chancel with rectangular apse, and vestries to east and north. Free Gothic style. Tower has angle buttresses and pinnacles. Gabled west entrance with round arch and 2 straight-headed doors with traceried tympanum. 3-light window above has pierced parapet. 4-face clock and paired segmental-pointed bell openings. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. Lean-to bay to right, round ended bay to left. Aisles are windowless, with gabled buttresses. Clerestory has cross-gables and 3-light segmental-headed windows with low transom. Transeptal extension has 3 rose windows. Chancel has gabled north organ loft, apse has rose window. Interior has arcades with good free Romanesque capitals, probably c.1898.

Listing NGR: SJ3709390548

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
214046
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06546/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].