ALBION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1356460

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: ALBION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, STAMFORD STREET EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALBION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356460 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 23:01:51.

Location

Statutory Address: ALBION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, STAMFORD STREET EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 94326 99003

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE STAMFORD STREET EAST SJ 99 NW (south side)

4/37 Albion Congregational 12/01/67 Church

II*

Church. 1890-95. By John Brooke. Ashlar with slate roof. Nave, aisle passages, clerestory, transepts, north-west tower and chancel flanked by organ chamber and vestry. Gothic revival in a Decorated style. 8-bay nave (5-bay aisles) with weathered plinth and weathered flying buttresses which terminate in gabled pinnacles above the coped parapet. 3-light aisle windows and tall paired 2-light transomed clerestory lights all with flat traceried head. 5-light transept windows and 7-light west and east windows all with curvilinear tracery and below raked parapets. 2-bay chancel. Elaborate fleche. 4-stage tower with set-back weathered and gableted buttresses, arched doorway, cusped lancet windows, 3-light transomed third stage window and clock-faces in front of blind arcading in the fourth stage. The spire has lucarnes and is set back behind a parapet and corner pinnacles. INTERIOR: ashlar red sandstone facing throughout. Narthex below gallery. Moulded nave arcade on octagonal columns with foliated capitals and moulded bases. The lofty nave is roofed by trusses with angelic hammer beams which spring from carved corbels. Timberwork includes pulpit with sounding board, pews, stalls, organ case and chancel panelling. Stained glass transepts and east window by Morris and Co. Organ of 1894 by T. C. Lewis, rebuilt 1954. Reredos is a tiled memorial to both World Wars first installed 1921 by Pilkingtons. Memorial plaques to Hugh and Betsy Mason.



Listing NGR: SJ9432699003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 212686

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing