HUDDERSFIELD NARROW CANAL STAKES AQUEDUCT AND TOW PATH BRIDGE (AQUEDUCT BRIDGE) OVER RIVER TAME

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356465
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
HUDDERSFIELD NARROW CANAL STAKES AQUEDUCT AND TOW PATH BRIDGE (AQUEDUCT BRIDGE) OVER RIVER TAME

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356465.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Dec-2021 at 15:29:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
HUDDERSFIELD NARROW CANAL STAKES AQUEDUCT AND TOW PATH BRIDGE (AQUEDUCT BRIDGE) OVER RIVER TAME

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ 95434 98233

Details

SJ 99 NE STALYBRIDGE HUDDERSFIELD NARROW CANAL

4/144 Stakes Aqueduct and tow-path bridge (Aqueduct Bridge) over - River Tame

- II

Aqueduct and tow-path bridge. 1800. Benjamin Outram engineer, designedand cast at Butterley Iron Works. Cast iron and dressed stone respectively. Cast iron trough aqueduct flanked by a hump-backed tow-path bridge. The aqueduct was fabricated in situ out of rectangular cast iron sections which are bolted together. Each section has a large tension flange, a small compression flange, and webbed side flanges. Each end has stop plank housings. Remedial measures which involved using the stone arch of the tow-path bridge to support the aqueduct mid-span date from 1875. The tow- path bridge has an elliptical arch, a stone band and a hump- backed parapet with round-topped copings which has half been rebuilt with a level parapet. A built-in mile stone records "191 miles" and a bench mark. The aqueduct replaced the original stone aqueduct of 1795 and is amongst the earliest iron trough aqueducts in Britain. Transactions of the Newcomen Society, Vol. 53 1981-2 pp 17-38.

Listing NGR: SJ9543498233

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212605
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Newcomen Society' in Transactions of the Newcomen Society, , Vol. 53, (1981-1982), 17-38

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15273/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

User contributions are not fact checked and do not represent the official position of Historic England.

Request a correction of the list entry

Read the Enriching the List Terms and Conditions

For any other issue or if you need help, please email: [email protected]


Upcoming maintenance

Enriching The List will be unavailable on 7 & 8 December to allow us to prepare for the launch of an upgraded version.