BOWDON DOWNS CHURCH, SCHOOLROOM AND LECTURE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356476

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: BOWDON DOWNS CHURCH, SCHOOLROOM AND LECTURE HALL, BOWDEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOWDON DOWNS CHURCH, SCHOOLROOM AND LECTURE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356476 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 10:39:25.

Location

Statutory Address: BOWDON DOWNS CHURCH, SCHOOLROOM AND LECTURE HALL, BOWDEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 76221 87373

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 78 NE ALTRINCHAM BOWDON ROAD (south-west side)

7/1 Bowdon Downs Church, schoolroom and lecture hall (formerly listed as Bowdon Downs Congregational 24.10.74 Church With attached buildings including School and Lecture - II Hall)

Congregational chapel now Pentecostal church. 1847, transepts and galleries added 1868, lecture hall added 1882, porch added c.1920. Dressed sandstone and Westmorland slate roof. Wide nave with (ritual) north, south and west porches, west gallery, transepts each with gallery, schoolroom and vestry. The lecture hall and ancillary rooms extended along Bowdon Road. Elaborate west porch with pointed doorway and gable. Above is a 5-light Perpendicular style window under enriched ogee dripmould flanked by small canopied empty statue niches and a coped gable with ornate finial. 6-bay nave with plinth, moulded eaves and steep roof. Each bay has gableted weathered buttesses and 2-light window. Porch in bay 2. Transepts which are as high as the nave are treated similarly to the east end with 2 2-light windows on the lower level, a rose window in an enriched arched surround at the higher level and coped gables with kneelers incorporating grotesque beasts. The lecture hall etc. is of 8 bays, 1 storey and is picturesquely composed with 3 coped gables, a chimney stack with 3 octagonal shafts, weathered buttresses, cusped windows and a tall fleche to the lecture hall roof. Interior: west doors with iron daisy motif lattice. Traceried timber screens. 2-bay transepts with coupled intermediate columns with foliated heads. Arch-braced hammer beam roof. Carved frieze behind central octagonal stone pulpit designed for, but rejected by Queen Victoria. Marble statue of Mary and Martha in memory of Jesse Haworth 1930. Good stained glass throughout including lecture hall.

Listing NGR: SJ7622187373

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 212753

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing