Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356492.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2021 at 04:22:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ 96382 98507


SJ 99 NE STALYBRIDGE TRINITY STREET (east side) 4/182 Stalybridge - Public Library G.V. II

Public library. 1897-1901. By J. Medland Taylor. Hammer- dressed stone ground floor, brick first floor and clay tile roof. Total of 6 bays and 2 storeys. Jacobean revival. Projecting plinth, continuous sill bands and first floor cornice, eaves cornice, irregular quoins and coped gables with ball finials. Bay 1 projects as a gabled wing, bay 3 has a single-storey porch and bay 5 a projecting chimney stack with canted sides. The porch has cast iron gates within a round-headed arch on bulbous Ionic columns which is flanked by taller Ionic columns supporting the entablature. The entablature is inscribed "Astley Cheetham Public Library" above 3 basket-headed arches: It has a cornice which breaks forward above smaller Ionic columns. Windows have 2 or 3-light, mullions and transoms, and 3 first floor windows break through the eaves line and have shaped gables. Bow window on right return. Interior: central atrium surrounded by elliptical keystone arches on rusticated columns giving access to the peripheral rooms one of which is a hall-like edifice with hammer-beam roof trusses. Moulded plaster ceilings and timber screens.

Listing NGR: SJ9638298507


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01740/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Frank Bennett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].