HALE CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1356500
Date first listed:
02-Mar-1950
Statutory Address:
HALE CHAPEL, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALE CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356500.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 03:23:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
HALE CHAPEL, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 79142 85446

Details

SJ 78 NE HALE CHAPEL LANE (west side)

7/125 Hale Chapel 2.3.50

G.V. II*

Presbyterian meeting house, now Unitarian chapel. 1723 with vestry and alterations of c.1880. English garden wall bond brick with slate roof. Classic early chapel plan although the gallery was removed, the vestry and bellcote built and the 2 side doors blocked in the late C19 when the gable end door came into use. 4 bays with blocked doors in bays 1 and 4, timber mullion and transom leaded windows with segmental brick arches, small buttresses and wall mounted sundial dated 1812 in bay 2. Preacher's windows on north elevation and windows to each gable, that to the west of C19. Interior: good early C18 pulpit with sounding board and splat baluster rail, box pews and oak fishbone king-post trusses. C19 stained glass. The chapel is the earliest place of worship in Hale or Halebarns and a fine example of an early non-conformist chapel.

Listing NGR: SJ7914285446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212885
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/09623/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].