CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1356515

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356515 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 20:17:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Moulton

National Grid Reference: SP 78358 66419

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MOULTON CHURCH STREET SP7866 (West side) 16/122 Church of St. Peter and St. 02/11/54 Paul

GV I

Church. C12 and C13. Squared coursed lias and limestone ashlar with lead roof. Aisled nave and chancel and west tower. Chancel projects only slightly from east end of the north and south aisles and has 4-light Perpendicular window with 4-centred head. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. South aisle of 4-window range of three 4-light windows with 4-centred heads to right, and one 2-light window with Y-tracery to left. 4-light east window with Y-tracery and 2-light C20 west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. South porch to left has double chamfered arch with corbelled responds. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets. North aisle of 3-window range of two 3-light windows with reticulated tracery to left and one 2-light window with Y-tracery to right. North doorway with double chamfered pointed arch. 3-light east window with reticulated tracery and 2-light west window with Y-tracery. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Nave clerestory of 5-window range of 2-light square headed windows. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar parapets with animals at eastern corners. West tower of 4 stages. West door has double chamfered pointed arch. 2-light west window with quatrefoil in second stage. 2-light bell chamber openings with quatrefoils to each face of third stage. Fourth stage limestone ashlar with twin 2-light bell-chamber openings with quatrefoils and cusped transoms to each face. Quatrefoil freize above with castellated parapet and short pinnacles at corners. Interior: chancel, 2 bay south arcade of late C13 double chamfered pointed arches with octagonal piers. Similar one bay north arcade. C13 double chamfered chancel arch. Nave originally C12, aisles, has late C12 four bay arcade of one step round arches with square piers having 4 demi shafts. The piers to the left have C13 octagonal casing at bases. C13 four bay south arcade of double chamfered pointed arches with octagonal piers. Tall tower arch has 4 chamfers. C19 king post and tie beam roofs. Stained glass to east and south west windows. C14 piscina to right of altar. Communion rail C18 with turned balusters. Font C18, plain baluster with small gadrooned bowl, also C20 stone font. Sculpture attached to south wall is fragment of saxon cross shaft depicting a beast biting its tail. Monument above is oval marble tablet with scrolled surround to Edmund Gee died 1799 and wife Elizabeth. North wall inscribed tablet with heraldic decoration to Saunderson family probably C18; reset. Fragments of C13 masonry and stone coffin lid below. Spire removed in 1702. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.307).

Listing NGR: SP7835866419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360375

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 307

End of official listing