THE CLOCK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1356544
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
THE CLOCK HOUSE, 9, CAPPELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CLOCK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356544.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 00:12:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CLOCK HOUSE, 9, CAPPELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanstead Abbots
National Grid Reference:
TL 38661 11927

Details

TL 3811 13/18 4.12.51

STANSTEAD ABBOTS CAPPELL LANE (east side)Stanstead Abbots village No 9 (The Clock House)

GII* Grammar School,now a house.Circa 1636 for Sir Edward Baish with accommodation for Schoolmaster.Used also for services on Sunday in C17, bell said to be dated 1704, clock and repair 1788,sold in 1913.Red brick in English-bond,with black diaper pattern in gable and stucco quoins.Old red tiled roof,with gable end (W) to street topped by a weatherboarded square cupola with ogee roof and vane.Two-storeys.Symmetrical arrangement with central door,three-light casement window over (both have segmental heads and stucco surround)and a large lozenge-shaped clock face with raised surround.On N and S fronts three-light plastered brick mullioned windows with moulded labels. C18 three-light wooden casements to upper floor.Leaded glazing.The main part was a schoolroom lit by the two opposed three-light windows and originally open to the roof.The W part was originally two-storeys with the present chimney serving the upper chamber.The schoolroom would have had an open fire (RCHM Typescript).A focal building at the E end of the High Street.(RCHM (1911) 211: Pevsner (1977) 344).

Listing NGR: TL3866111927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355889
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 344
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10243/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].