- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ALTHORP HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356626.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2020 at 00:16:28.
- Statutory Address:
- ALTHORP HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Daventry (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 68178 65141
Althorp House 7/1 02/11/54 I GV
Country House. c.1508, for John Spencer, remodelled by Henry Holland 1789. White mathematical tiles with ashlar dressing and slate roof. Originally courtyard, now U-plan. South front: 2 storeys with attic, symmetrical core of 5-window range with flanking wings having vestibule projections. Large ashlar pilasters with Corinthian capitals, between windows of centre range, supporting pediment with entablature. Central entrance with pediment oiler and C19 half-glazed doors. Sash windows with glazing bars have moulded stone heads and surrounds. Hipped roofs, with the exception of the vestibule projections, have dormers with pediments over. Moulded cornice throughout. Lateral and central stacks. Large armorial moulding in pediment. West front similar of 10 bays. North front similar of 10 bays. End and centre 3 bays breaking forward with occulus in pediment over. Central entrance and end flanking sashes have pediments over. C19 single-storey dining room wing by MacVicar Anderson attached to right, centre 3 bays break forward all in similar style to main house. East side has C19 ironstone and slate roofed service wings attached which have been modified in C20. Interior: The Wootton Hall: Central south entrance hall, full height with coffered ceiling, moulded frieze and cornice designed by Colen Campbell and carried out by Roger Morris 1773, four symmetrical entrances, 2 with pediments over, centre internal with broken pediment supported on fluted Corinthian columns. Range of rooms to west originally remodelled by H. Holland, commencing with South Drawing Room which has fireplace, by Lancelot Wood 1802. Ceiling by Broadbent of Leicester 1865, similar ceiling in Rubens Room adjacent to north with chimney piece by Holland made by Deval. The long Library continues north forming a tripartite apartment with screens of Ionic columns and Adam style ceiling. The Marlborough Room occupying the western half of the north front has two fireplaces by John Vardy in Greek revival style and carved by Scheemakers originally at Spencer House in London. The Sunderland Room occupying the eastern half of the north front has its original C17 cornice. 2 fireplaces are by John Vardy and James Stuart respectively from Spencer House. The dining room wing to the north east by MacVicar Anderson is a double cube with coffered ceiling. The small dining room to the east of the Wootton Hall has C17 fireplace and panelling from Wormleighton, a former Spencer house. The Blue Sitting Room at south east end of the east wing has inset blue and white panels by Holland painted by Pernotin transfered.to present location C19. The central courtyard, formed into the saloon and staircase in 1650 has a wide straight flight stair with 2 intermediate landings and short branches to left and right to first floor flanking galleries added by H. Holland. Large oak balusters and handrail. Coffered ceiling with 3 roof lights by MacVicar Anderson. First floor rooms: Chapel in east range has bolection moulded chimney piece by Joshua Marshall, reset armorial glass in windows dated 1588. Range of rooms in north front contain fireplaces by P.C. Hardwick 1850, Repton and Lancelot Wood, some reset. Picture Gallery in western range is of C17 with restored bolection panelling. Chimney piece by James Stuart from Spencer house. Two services stairs in east range have late C17 balusters. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.78; Raine Countess Spencer, A Short History of Althorp and the Spencer Family 1982).
Listing NGR: SP6817865141
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961)
Spencer, R, A Short History of Althorp and the Spencer Family, (1982)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 30 Northamptonshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing