CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356634

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356634 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:18:49.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Boughton

National Grid Reference: SP 75328 65886

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOUGHTON CHURCH STREET SP7565 (North side) Church of St.John the Baptist 22/39 02/11/54 II GV

Church early C15, and early and mid C14. Coursed lias rubble with ashlar dressings: lead roof, Nave and Chancel rebuilt 1806 and enlarged 1846. Single hall church, no aisles. South elevation, 5-window range with four 2-light Perpendicular style square headed windows. South door has 2-centred arched head with 2-light square headed window above. 3-lighted squared headed east window. North elevation similar to south with 3-light window. Datestone 1702 with initials I.Y. and rose, probably reset. Gabled roof has plain parapet with ashlar coping. West tower. Early C15 of 4-stages having diagonal angle buttresses. West door has 4-centred moulded head, west window above of cinqurefoil lights with quatrefoils in head. In the third stage is a panel inscription. "This was repaired in the year of our Lord 1653". Two-light windows in fourth stage. C20 castellated parapet. Interior - plain with C15 two-centred chamfered tower arch. Shallow roof of 4-bays, early C19, Perpendicular style with kingposts. Stained glass in west tower window by Kempe. Monument to Mary Tillemont 1706. Tablet with open pediment and two cherubs at head and foot. (The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire 1973 p109.; G.E.Stevenson ; Boughton).

Listing NGR: SP7532865886

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360027

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 109
Stevenson, G, A Short Guide to Boughton Northamptonshire

End of official listing