CHRIST CHURCH, FRIEZLAND

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356701

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, FRIEZLAND, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH, FRIEZLAND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 22:27:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, FRIEZLAND, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Saddleworth

National Grid Reference: SD 98507 04316

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SADDLEWORTH CHURCH ROAD SD 90 SE (north side) Grasscroft 5/51 Christ Church, - Friezland G.V. II Church. c.1850 with additions of 1860 s. By George Shaw. Snecked stone with slate roof. Nave and chancel with north- west tower, south transept, north aisle, organ chamber and vestry all of later dates. Gothic revival. The nave has a projecting plinth, weathered buttresses (angled at corners) and 2-light windows with geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds. Porch in bay 2 with weathered clasping buttresses, coped gable and finial. The south transept which was formerly galleried has an external flight of steps and 5-light south window. The north aisle has 2 and 3-light windows and 2 gables to its eastern extreme. A clerestory was added when the aisle was built. Chancel with 3-light east window. Coped gables with finials. The 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, a weathered plinth, a shouldered first stage window, a cusped lancet window on the second, two cusped lancet belfry openings and a broach spire. Interior: low alternating octagonal and circular columns with moulded capitals support chamfered arches in the north arcade. Arch- braced roof trusses. Carved timber fittings include pulpit, poppy-head choir stalls, reredos and chancel panelling. Heraldic coat of arms above door.

Listing NGR: SD9850704316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 212061

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing