HERMON CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1356736

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1999

Statutory Address: HERMON CHAPEL, CHAPEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HERMON CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 18:33:46.

Location

Statutory Address: HERMON CHAPEL, CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Oswestry

National Grid Reference: SJ 28980 29820

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OSWESTRY

1602/13/10018 CHAPEL STREET 06-SEP-99 HERMON CHAPEL

GV II*



Nonconformist chapel and Sunday school. Dated 1862; by Reverend Thomas Thomas of Llandor. Flemish bond red brick with stuccoed front and rendered at back. Slate roof with gabled ends. PLAN: Rectangular auditorium with gallery on three sides and entrance at SW end under gallery. Sunday school at NE end. Classical Italianate style. EXTERIOR: Single storey. Tetrastyle pedimented SW front, the tympanum with inscription panel; and with giant pilasters, the outer bays with tall round-headed windows with moulded architraves, small keyblocks and bracketed cills; central tripartite window with round-headed lights, over round-headed pilastered doorway with moulded extrados, keyblock and panelled double doors, the top panels arched. Tall round-headed windows at sides and rear. All windows have original frames with foiled tracery over two lights. At N E end a single-storey Sunday school with 12-pane sash windows. INTERIOR: Gallery on three sides on thin cast-iron columns and with panelled front. Intricately panelled ceiling to auditorium with central leaf rose. Deacons' seat and box pews intact, the latter including those in gallery. Rostrum at NE end with large organ behind, of 1909 by Blackett and Howden.

An exceptionally complete example of a chapel interior of this period and type, also of interest as an example of the work of the Reverend Thomas Thomas, one of the leading and certainly the most prolific of the Welsh chapel architects of the Victorian period.



Listing NGR: SJ2898029821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477072

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing