GROVE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356749

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1999

Statutory Address: GROVE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN RANGE, BACK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROVE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN RANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356749 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 15:57:42.

Location

Statutory Address: GROVE FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN RANGE, BACK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Roughton

National Grid Reference: TG 21367 37611

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

G23NW ROUGHTON BACK LANE 1274/6/10003 Grove Farmhouse and attached barn range

II Farmhouse. Mid and late C17, with C 18-c1900 alterations, probably all for the Windham family of Felbrigg Hall. Flint with red brick dressings and dentilled eaves. Part is rendered. Pantile roof with coped gables and brick central ridge and end stacks. 4-unit plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 4-window range of wooden mullion and transom windows. 3-light with 2-light over door to centre left and, to ground floor, 4-light with 3-light to right. Gabled porch and part-glazed door. Rear has 6-panel door and hood, similar 2-light windows under cambered brick arches and, to first floor, 2-light casements. INTERIOR: Ground floor has stop-chamfered bridging beams, those to left unit with sunk-quadrant moulding and jewelled stops suggesting an early/mid C17 date. Stick baluster staircase. several2-panel doors. Massive stacks with C17 brickwork visible in roof space. Mid C18 roof of principals with collars, 2. tiers of butt purlins and coupled rafters. single-storey larder, washroom and pantry extension on north end dated 1853 with initials WHW for William Howe Windham. Barn range is attached to extension and is set at right angles. Similar materials, pantile roof facing house, triple Roman tiles to rear and originally 2 storeys. Probably C 17 stable range converted to barn late C18. Central double doors. Various blocked windows. single-storey former cartshed projects forward on left and faces house. Various doors and windows. Outshots to rear of barn, partly under catslide roof. Further double doors. INTERIOR: of barn. Probably late C18/early C19 6-bay softwood collar truss roof with 2 tiers of butt purlins, the tie beams possibly added later. Formerly part of the Felbrigg estate, possible since the C17, the house and attached barn range show careful estate improvements over a long period especially those in the mid C19.





Listing NGR: TG2136737611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477086

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing