CHURCH OF ST GODWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356762
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GODWALD, FINSTALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GODWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356762 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 03:00:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GODWALD, FINSTALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Bromsgrove (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 96945 69580

Details

SO 96 NE FINSTALL ROAD, Aston Fields

666/6/10015 CHURCH OF ST GODWALD

II

Anglican church. 1883-4; by John Cotton. Red sandstone ashlar with Bath stone dressings. Clay plain tile roofs with coped gable ends. PLAN: Nave, chancel, south transept with vestry in east angle, and south porch with bellcote. Victorian Gothic style, in a style of circa 1300. EXTERIOR: The nave has 2-light windows with Geometric tracery on the south side and plate tracery on the north side. The south transept has large 2-light Geometric traceried window with flanking lancets, and similar window on west end of nave. Chancel east window is of three lights with Geometric tracery. The south porch has a timber bellcote over it. INTERIOR: Yellow brick walls, partly painted over. 3-bay nave roof with arch and scissor braces, on carved stone corbels. Moulded stone chancel arch and 2-bay arcade to south transept. Common-rafter-and-collar chancel roof. Seating including choir stalls and altar rail intact. Gothic carved stone reredos of 1924 by Celestino Pancheri; ornate marble Gothic font of 1897; D-Day memorial by Robert Pancheri. Stained glass east window, and in south transept a window by A.E. Lemmon. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.153.



Listing NGR: SO9694569580

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476991
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 153

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15841/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].